Are you suffering from acne scars on your face? If you discover that your acne is leaving scars on your facial skin, you can’t just sit and relax. This can be unsightly and embarrassing. Though, you need not to panic about this condition, there are lots of remedies to heal your scars and keep away new ones from forming. This article is going to provide in depth information about the causes, symptoms, ways to get rid of the acnes scars on face and more.
Getting to understand why one may develop an acne scar need a critical thinking and this is why we opt to give this insightful theory. There are many causes that may lead to acne but we have to understand that, not all acnes will leave behind a scars. There are also some risk factors that when combined with underlying acne can lead to acne scars.
- 1 Who Gets Acne Scars on Face?
- 2 Causes of Acne Scars on Face
- 3 Types of Acne Scars on Face
- 4 How do you Treat Acne Scars on Face
- 5 Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Acne Scars on Face Fast
Who Gets Acne Scars on Face?
It is clear that some people are more likely to develop facial acne scars than others. Here are the factors that may increase a risk of someone getting acnes scars on face as acne clears:
1. Inflammatory Facial Acne
Medical professionals put it clear that, those experiencing inflammatory acnes are having higher risk of developing acne scars. This type of acne usually tempt to penetrate deeper into the skin, and this damages the skin hence may leave behind scars. Inflammatory acne often develop alongside symptoms such as swellings, skin reddening and pain. Examples include cysts and nodules.
2. Delayed or Non-treatment of Inflammatory acne on face
Get this all clear, the more you stay longer before treating your inflammatory acne is the more you are likely to develop higher risk of post acne marks. Those who do not completely treat inflammatory acne scars are also in the same boat. This type of acne should be given immediate medical response before the dig deep into the skin.
3. Picking, Squeezing, Touching or Popping Acne
It should be acknowledged that picking, squeezing, touching or popping underlying acne often increases the risk of scarring. This can also lead to secondary infections hence leaving behind very large scars on the face. There are many remedies outside there that can be applied instead of picking, popping or squeezing the acne.
4. Genetics and Acne Scars
Genes also may contribute to the development of the scars. When a blood relative is suffering from the same, you may develop it too. But who will actually develop it is not easy to determine.
According to Aad.org, “Although we know what increases a person’s risk of developing acne scars, it is not possible to predict who will develop acne scars. Even people who have all the risk factors may not scar.”
Causes of Acne Scars on Face
“Acne scars are most often the product of an inflamed lesion, such as a papule, pustule, or cyst.” [verywell.com]. Inflamed acnes occur when the hair follicle is clogged with excess sebum (natural body oil), dead skin cells and bacteria. This will lead to swelling of the pore leading to a break of the follicle wall. Minor acnes will be formed when the rupture occur near the skin surface. On the other side, deeper rupture of the follicles wall will lead to severe acne. Thereafter, the infection by the bacteria will destroy healthy skin tissues.
Your skin will then form fibrous protein (collagen) that will strengthen and make the skin flexible. When the skin produces to little or too much collagen, you may develop an acne scars. Another important issue you must understand is that, the type of resultant acne scar will depend on how much collagen your skin produces.
Types of Acne Scars on Face
“Acne scars come in many different shapes, sizes and even colors.” Says thescienceofacne.com. This is very true, many kinds of acne will have their own unique characteristics and features. The differences will also influence the type of acne scars treatment to be applied. You should note that choosing the appropriate treatments will basically depend on the characteristic of the underlying acne scar. Here are the three main types of acne scars:
1. Raised (keloid) Scars
Raised acne scars or otherwise known as keloid or hypertrophic acne scars are regions of fibrous and firm scar tissue which is raised as compared to the surrounding healthy skin tissue. These types of acne scars has many challenges as compared to the other two types. They are also addressed with different therapies. They are often treated using ablative laser resurfacing and micro-dermabrasion. Surgical procedures can also be employed to remove them. Raised acne scars rarely respond to chemical peel treatments because the tissue of such scars are more resistant to ingredients found in the chemical peels.
2. Depressed (Pitted) Acne Scars
This is the most common type of acne scars resulting from inflammatory acnes. The collagen anchors the base of the scars to the sub-cutaneous tissue, keeping the depression in place and at the same time preventing the regrowth of the healthy tissue. The best treatment for pitted acnes is to disrupt or remove the scar tissue to enable its replacement with new functional and healthy tissue. Read on to explore these three types of depressed scars.
- Rolling scars-these are broad depressions in the skin having rounded slopping edges. When they combine in a place, they bring about rolling look and hence the name rolling scar
- Boxcar Scars-they are acne scar with steeper defined edges than rolling scars. They are very difficult to smoothen and to blend them into the nearby skin.
- Icepick acne scars– these acnes are deep and narrow scars and they resemble a large empty skin pore. Because they are deeper, punch-excisions and some kinds of laser form the best treatment.
3. Discoloration/Pigmentation Acne Scars
These are acne scars forming when the inflammatory acne leads to unusual discoloration of the skin. This can be the most long-term form of acne. In this category, we have hyper-pigmentation and hypo-pigmentation and erythema.
This condition occur when the cells producing melanin pigment (melanocytes) begin to multiply at the site of the injury or when existing melanocytes begin to produce excess melanin leading to acne dark sports or dark acne scars. All these follow trauma caused by inflammatory acne. Light and laser acne treatment are appropriate and effective for this kind of acne.
This occur when the melanocytes in the injured site are depleted or lose their capability to produce enough melanin. Such areas tend to have light pinkish appearance. It can also affect the healthy skin regions. Hypo-pigmentation can easily be noticed in persons with darker skin.
C) Erythema or Dermanent Redness
This condition presents when the small capillaries below the skin surface are damaged or permanently dilated following the occurrences of acnes. This will cause a region of redness in the affected area or what is called red acne marks. This is common with individuals having lighter skin. Treatment for erythema include topical prescribed treatments and laser and light based treatments
How do you Treat Acne Scars on Face
Acne scar removal treatment will depend on the characteristic of the underlying scars. So it will be a good idea to go for effective treatments for your scars. Here, we have discussed the most effective ways of treating acne scars on face you can try.
1. Pitted and rolling scars
- You can adopt the use of Soft tissue augmentation techniques such as hyaluronic acid, collagen, gelatin matrix and fat implants or other recommended cream for scars on face
- Dermabrasion is also another good treatment for acne scar
- Skin needling is also among the pitted acne treatments
- Your dermatologist can also apply Laser resurfacing
2. Ice pick and boxcar scars
- Dermabrasion and Laser resurfacing form effective treatment
- Punch grafting can also be employed to treat deep scars
- Chemical Reconstruction Of Skin Scarring
- a surgical technique in which the fibrous band under the scar is divided (Subcision), can be employed to allow the skin to return to its normal position
- Larger scars can be cut out (excision)
3. Raised scars
Hypertrophic scars treatments include:
- Effective topical steroids can be applied under occlusion to the scar for a few weeks
- steroid injections into the body of the scar is also another perfect procedure to treat raised scars
- Silicone gel dressings may also be applied for 24 hours a day regular for some months
- Skin needling
- Cryotherapy or freezing
- Surgical revision can also clear raised scars
Raised or keloid acne scars are particularly likely to reoccur besides successful treatments, so be warned.
Natural Remedies to Get Rid of Acne Scars on Face Fast
There are many natural remedies that can be used in treating acne scars on face, though they may only be effective for mild to moderate acnes scars. Here are the best natural remedies to treat facial acne scars:
1. Fenugreek Seeds
Fenugreek seeds or Greek hayseed is very good acne scars removal product that help in mending and easing aggravation. They contain wonderful anti-oxidants that are very excellent for treating acne scars. It has been used for years in treating acne inflammation. Here is procedures for applying fenugreek seeds remedy:
- Boil fenugreek seeds in two cups of water using small pan
- Leave them to boil for some minutes and then grind them to glue
- You can then store them in refrigerator or cool place
- Apply small portion of this glue to your acne scar on face.
- Leave it to sit for about 15 minutes before washing your skin using warm water
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is another perfect natural moisturizer that normally comes with recovering properties. According to Homeremediesforlife.com, “Coconut oil cools and soothes the skin, reducing inflammation and redness caused by acne.” This oil also contain caprylic and capric acids and vitamins E and K that encourage the growth of new healthy skin cells. It also enhance the production of collagen which improves skin`s elasticity which keeps the skin firm and scar free. There are more ways in which coconut heals the acne scars. Use the procedure below to apply coconut oil remedy:
- Scoop ¼ tablespoon of coconut oil and then let it dissolve into the palm of your hands to your body temperature.
- Using your fingers, run the oil into the acne scar
- Leave it there to be absorbed by the scar for 10 minutes
- You can then wash it using warm water
3. Olive Oil
This is among the most effective acne scar removal treatment which is friendly to your skin. Just imagine it contain vitamins (A, D, E, C, B1 and B2), iron and antioxidants. The acne scars will also get cleared following the anti-inflammatory properties in the olive oil. For very effective result, apply olive oil before greeting your bed. Below is how to use this remedy:
- Acquire a little olive oil and the apply it gently on the facial scar
- The massage should proceed until you are satisfied that all the oil has been absorbed
- Dip a clean towel in lukewarm water and then wash your face gently. This should be done after around 15 minutes.
- Repeat this procedure many times as you can until you attain positive result
4. Baking Soda
This is a popular natural acne scar removal product that have been used to treat many skin disorders and that is why we find it effective for facial acne scars. It gets rid of dead skin cells since it exfoliates the bothersome dead skin cells. It also has no inflammation effect on your skin during its application. This is how baking soda is applied to treat acne scars on face:
- Mix baking soda and olive oil to form a paste
- Apply the paste on the scars and then massage it on the scars for around 8 minutes before washing off using lukewarm water
- Repeat this procedure regularly for positive result
Baking soda can also be applied alongside aloe vera, lemon juice, orange and cinnamon and honey.
5. Egg Whites
Egg white is another best acne scar removal remedy, it has influential repairing properties that will help mend your acne scars and limit the future occurrence of such acne. “Egg white is brimming with proteins and amino acids which can tighten the pores to avert new breakouts while it lightens the scarred skin,” says Naturalremedyideas.com. To apply egg white:
- Break one egg and whip the egg white in a small bowl to make it feathery and usable
- Using your fingers, spread the egg white on the scars
- Leave it to dry on the skin for about 10 minutes and then wash it off gently using warm water.
- If you want a better result, then apply this remedy thrice each weak
6. Aloe Vera
This wonderful herb not only soothe the swellings but also help in renewing damaged tissues as well as boosting the healing process for many skin conditions. This is why we rate it among the best acne scar removal treatments. Though there are over the counter products containing aloe vera, it is good to fresh aloe gel. How to use aloe vera to treat post acne marks on faces:
- Take aloe vera leaf and peel its outer cover to get fresh aloe gel
- Apply the gel into your scars
- Sit and relax for about 30 minutes and then wash off using warm water
- Repeat the process twice daily for pleasant result
- For sure, this remedy will vanish the acne scars and also make your skin to glow and become tighter
Natural remedies for treating acnes scars are several. More natural ways to remove acne marks involve product such as cucumber, honey, potato slice, sugar scrub, rose water and glycerin, turmeric powder, lemon juice and orange juice among others. Remember the most important thing is to select proper treatment in response to your face acne scars characteristics.
Acne scars on your face are usually unsightly and really embarrassing, so you must employ all means to get rid of such worrisome scars. The first stage to avoid acne scars is to prevent factors that may lead to development of acne. After this, you can apply some over the counter products for acne scars and the above natural remedies. If they both seem to be unfruitful, proceed to your dermatologist for stronger medications such laser and light treatments among others
You may also like
- Bumps on Baby Face Causes, Red White Rashes, Newborn Acne and Treatment or Remedies
- Scabs on Face Meaning, Causes, Symptoms and How to Get Rid Scabs on Face
- Acne Scars on Nose Hypertrophic, Big, Cystic, How to Cover and Get Rid of Nose Acne Scars
- Acne Scars on Back Causes, Male and Female, Remove, Cystic, White, Pictures, Cream, and Treatment
- Chin Acne Causes, Painful, Hormonal, Around under Chin & Treatments
- Nose Keloid Causes, Meaning, Pictures, Treatment and Nose Keloid Scar Removal
Our List of References
- Causes Acne Scars and How to prevent them: https://www.verywell.com/what-causes-acne-scars-15517
- Acne scars: https://www.aad.org/public/diseases/acne-and-rosacea/acne-scars#causes
- What Causes Acne Scars (And How To Get Rid Of Them): https://www.westlakedermatology.com/blog/what-causes-acne-scars/
- Acne scarring: http://www.dermnetnz.org/topics/acne-scarring/
- The Types of Acne Scars: http://thescienceofacne.com/the-types-of-acne-scars/
- 11 Top Remedies to Remove Acne Scars: http://www.rapidhomeremedies.com/7-top-remedies-remove-acne-scars.html
- 15 Natural Home Remedies to Get Rid of Acne Scars Fast: http://naturalremedyideas.com/get-rid-of-acne-scars/