What are acne scars? What is the best treatment for back acne scars? Can I use creams for acne scars on back and shoulders?
According to Dr. Whitney Bowe, acne scars or acne lesions occur when normal tissue in the skin is destroyed (damaged) and replaced with fibrous tissue.
- 1 Understanding acne scars on your back – with pictures
- 2 Treatment for back acne scars and shoulders
- 3 How to get rid of back acne scars fast in weeks
- 4 Best acne scar treatment for the back
- 5 DIY and Home remedies for back acne scars
- 6 How to prevent bad bacne scarring
Understanding acne scars on your back – with pictures
Scarring from acne will tend to vary with level of the damage caused. If the damage is due to severe acne, your body can respond by creating too much tissue or too little tissue. If the tissue is too much, there forms a keloid or a hypertrophic scar. On the other hand, when there is too little tissue formation atrophic scarring occurs.
Whether you have mild, moderate to severe acne, scarring is likely to result. What more? Find out on what you should not do to avoid horrible scarring.
How does scarring from acne look like or appear on the back? Look at these photos and pictures of acne scars on back and shoulders in detail.
Treatment for back acne scars and shoulders
Treating acne scars aims at reducing the redness, dark red or pinkish appearance and bumpiness. There are various removal methods and treatment for bacne scars. Scarring may respond to treatments in varying degrees depending on the nature and severity of scars and in relation specific treatments.
Treatment for back acne are as follows.
Laser treatment for bacne scars and removal
Laser can be an effective treatment and acne scar removal for the face and neck especially. Though dermatologists have noted there is poor response in removal of back acne using laser therapy.
Treatment to reduce acne scars
What can you do to reduce acne scars from your back? Reducing acne scars on your back is a good approach and quite reasonable way to deal with scarring from acne.
Using creams to reduce bacne scars
Creams can be used to reduce the early scars even though creams may have a lees effect to treat scars from acne. Most creams used in reducing acne scarring contain vitamin E. if the scars look bumpy it would be hard to reduce them with creams. However, acne specialists recommend use of oils for several months.
Body washes + acne scar removal creams
Most body washes with Benzoyl Peroxide are quite effective for mild acne scars. Dermatologists sometimes may combine these washes and antibacterial creams to effect removal of the lumpiness. Examples of acne body washes include the following.
- Clarifying Body Spray
- Clarifying Body Duo
Antibacterial creams to be used together include Doxycycline and Minocycline.
How to get rid of back acne scars fast in weeks
How can I treat acne scars on my back fast? Well, with surface treatment you can even reduce or get rid of acne marks in a matter of a week or 2 weeks. However, effective removal of these marks or scars in most cases occur in atrophic scarring or after successful treatment of mild forms of acne breakouts.
Dermatological procedures for quick surface treatment in scarring include surgical excision, ProFractional laser resurfacing , dermal fillers, chemical reconstruction of skin scars or (CROSS technique), Microdermabrasion and the punch technique.
Below is a brief description of each of some of these treatments.
Ablative or laser resurfacing
Resurfacing involves “altering the colour of the scar (e.g. lasers, broad band or intense pulse light) and inducing or reducing collagen in the underlying tissue.” [torontodermatologycentre.com]
CROSS or dot peeling technique
“The CROSS technique entails stretching the skin and using a fine wooden toothpick to apply 65 to 100 percent TCA” [ncbi.nlm.nih.gov].
TCA is usually a high strength of the peeling agent applied to the bottom of atrophic scar or the ice pick scar. Thereafter is a collagenisation procedure as the scars take a healing course. This technique allows for collagen production after at least 2 weeks.
CROSS technique causes mild skin burning but is quite tolerable to skin.
The procedure can take a week or so. Dermatologists recommend this technique provided that you have not had several laser (multiple treatment). The procedure must be done by a board-certified dermatologist only.
Dermal fillers for atrophic scarring
In this treatment, the depressions are filled with Restylane® or cortisone injections
Best acne scar treatment for the back
If you want to prevent any further damage to your skin, you should target best regimen including the treatment products such as scar removal creams. We have outlined some of the best treatment formulae for scars on back especially those from acne
Best products for treating acne marks or scars
What are the best treatments for bacne marks or scars? Before you think of clinical treatments or cure for back acne scars begin with products for acne marks, spots or scars.
The first and number one thing to consider is stop further skin inflammation, which would deteriorate your complexion. Secondly, scarring is more than hyperpigmentation since there is an actual change in skin texture.
The best regimen for acne scars include antioxidants, skin brighteners and lightening products with super ingredients for collagen production, anti-inflammatory and anti-ageing ingredients. Below are some top dermatological approved picks.
- Aczone Gel
- Caudalie Polyphenol C15 Anti-Wrinkle Defense Serum
- Hydropeptide Purifying Cleanser
- InstaNatural Vitamin C Serum 20%
- Bacitracin Ointment
- DHC Renewing AHA Cream
However, one major drawback of these products is a limitation to mild scars as indicated under the scores of the product effectiveness.
WARNING: If you have bad back acne scars avoid using chemicals for self-treatment.
Other best treatments for acne scars
Among the common approved treatments include ablative lasers, dermabrasion or microdermabrasion, fat transfer or grafting and filler injections for marks left by deep acne scars.
Scarring may persist into adulthood if left untreated. Thus, it is high time to begin reducing the scars or go for treatment offered in clinics.
DIY and Home remedies for back acne scars
Do you have fresh acne marks on your back and shoulders? You can save a lot if you give a trial and have a good chance to reduce the bacne scars out of these DIYs.
1. Turmeric powder – natural acne scar cure
To begin, turmeric is a pungent spice but an excellent natural exfoliant and agent to cure mild bacne scars.
How to prepare turmeric + milk cream mask
- Mix 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder and milk cream/plain yoghurt.
- Apply the paste to the bacne marks and scars
- Leave it for at least 15 minutes
- Repeat regularly to cure your back acne scars
For individuals with an extra oily shoulder skin avoid milk cream when you have to do this remedy as an overnight DIY.
2. Sandalwood powder
Sandalwood powder is an ideal remedy for the oily back skin with acne scars. This is an overnight DIY remedy for all skin types. Remember to wash if off your skin in the morning.
You may improvise it by mixing it with either rose water or rose oil because of their healing property.
3. Vitamin E Oil
Another helpful remedy to help deal with bacne scars is applying vitamin E oil. It also reduces the chances of new scars after mild acne breakout.
4. Egg whites + Aloe Vera mask
If vitamin E oil stock runs out in your kitchen store or its availability decreases, make yourself a mask using the egg whites.
This is one of the easiest DIYs you ever think of. If you need to see quicker healing mix it with some aloe Vera gel before applying. Always remember to wash it away using warm water. Optionally, you can moisturize afterwards.
5. Oatmeal + honey mask for mild acne scars
- Both oats and honey have natural ingredients with magic healing property. Honey itself can reduce scarring after acne.
- Mix 1/2 glassful oatmeal and 1tbspoon of raw honey (enough for your shoulder area)
- With aid of cotton pieces gently apply but do not rub
- Leave for 10 -15 minutes and wash with lukewarm water
- Repeat once or twice a day
You should also think of using some rosewater instead of honey.
6. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is beneficial for skin inflammation. Besides, it has an antibacterial property to help fight infections that would increase inflammation. Its natural antioxidant and ketones will help in brightening up your skin.
Use a small piece of cotton ball to apply apple cider vinegar on to the scars on your back. Allow it to sit for 30 minutes. Apply just once daily. For you to begin seeing the results, strive to be consistent and never give up on these natural home remedies.
How to prevent bad bacne scarring
The best way to manage acne and scarring is to adopt preventive measures or stop it from worsening or a breakout in future.
- Avoid self-treatments with chemical peels or with aggression
- When you have an acne breakout stop picking or poking the pimples often
- Avoid exposing your back to sunlight for long hours. A 15 minutes stay in sun is enough for the vital vitamin D
- Seek medical attention for acne treatments such as hormonal acne treatment especially during pregnancy period
- To avoid further side effects and potentially harmful chemicals in creams, talk to your specialist for proper advice
We would love to hear from your successful treatment stories via our comments section. Good luck and all the best.
You may also like
- Cystic Acne Chin Causes, Pictures, Treatment, Recurring Pimple Zits Remedies
- Chin Acne Causes, in Adults, Cystic Chin Acne, Cures to Get Rid of Acne Pimples and Prevention
- 5 Incredible Skin Care Tips to Banish Adult Acne
- Best Antibiotics for Acne, Oral, Topical, Side Effects, Good Bacteria, Mechanism of Antibiotic for Acne
- Receding Chin Causes, Meaning, Pictures, Correction Surgery and Baby Recessed Chin
- 12 Home Remedies to Get Rid of Back Acne Scars, KAREN REED, April 21, 2016, accessed on 5th Jan 2016
- Body acne scar treatment, Acne Specialist Clinic
- Guide to treating acne scars and skin damage, Ayren Jackson-Cannady
- Effective Treatments of Atrophic Acne Scars: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4445894/