Can you get pimples on your legs or is it something else? What are this pimple looking bumps on legs? Are they actually pimples or something else? Discover more on pimples on legs including their causes, big, small, red, white, black, and sweat leg pimples. We will also discuss ways of getting rid of these zits on legs
- 1 Can you get pimples on your legs?
- 2 Where on legs can you these zits
- 3 Why do people get pimples?
- 4 What causes pimples on legs or why do I have pimples on my legs
- 5 Leg acne treatment or how to get rid of pimples on legs
- 6 Home remedies for pimples on legs and thighs
- 7 Little or small pimples on legs
- 8 Itchy pimples on legs
- 9 Red pimples on legs including Small red pimples on legs
- 10 Pimples between legs
- 11 Painful Big pimple on leg
- 12 White pimples on legs
- 13 Black pimple on leg
- 14 Pimple like bumps on legs
Can you get pimples on your legs?
To begin our discussion, it is worthwhile mentioning the fact that it possible to have leg pimples only or have pimples on legs and buttocks, thighs, chest, arms, back, face, groin, balls, neck at other parts of your body. Furthermore, they could be lots of pimples on legs or just a few, even just one pimple.
Where on legs can you these zits
Some of the people who have who have people leg pimples have reported these pimples on all over your legs or on some parts of their legs such as on their calves, in between your legs, or on your lower legs or even on thighs. Pimples on thigh, just like pimples on buttocks will be covered in different post.
Why do people get pimples?
Pimples skin eruptions, which according to the American Academy of Dermatologists forms when your skin produces excessive oil, which together with dead skin, dirt and bacteria plugs the pores. In response to bacterial colonization, your body will produce white bloods to combat bacteria. This forms the pus-filled pimples, which are red in most instances.
What causes pimples on legs or why do I have pimples on my legs
There are many possible explanations as to what could be causing pimples on your legs. Some of the common causes include the following:
1. Tight unbreathable clothing
The first possible pimples on legs cause is wearing tight fitting clothing made from unbreathable fabrics especially pants, socks and shorts. These clothes will not only affect your skin breathing but also keep sweat close to your skin, something that can help in triggering leg acne outbreaks.
2. Sweat pimples on legs
According to livestrong.com, “sweating alone won’t create pimples, but combined with oils, dirt and bacteria; sweat can clog pores and cause breakouts.” During warm weather, your legs will tend to sweat a lot and this can increase the probability of you developing sweat pimples. Furthermore, friction in between legs especially to people who love skirts, dresses and shorts can lead to sweat pimples between legs.
3. Cosmetics used on legs
Going on with what causes pimples on your legs, we have cosmetics you use on your legs such as sunscreens and moisturizers. Some of these products can block your pores and encourage pimple appearance.
4. Dirty equipment in your gym
For those who go to the gym, it is possible your pimples are caused by dirty equipment you use in the gym especially the benches and mats. The dirt, sweating during your workout routine can clog your pores and thereby make pimples to appear.
5. Hormonal changes during periods, puberty or pregnancy
Leg pimple causes are so many. Do not be surprised if you get these pimples when you are stressed, menstruating or during pregnancy. If that happens, your quick guess should be hormonal cause. Some hormonal changes are known to trigger excessive sebum production raising the changes of pore blockage and acne breakouts.
6. Laundry product used
The pimple bumps on legs can also be due to the effect of your laundry products especially detergents and softeners. This will be more evident if you changed your laundry products and you begin noticing pimples.
Leg acne treatment or how to get rid of pimples on legs
Whether painful or painless, no one wants to see zits on their legs. Some of the ways to help reduce these pimples include the following:
- Be very clean – Always use mild antibacterial soaps to wash your legs daily and after you sweat. This will reduce bacterial growth as well as help open closed pores. Also, ensure your gym equipment are cleaned and sterilized.
- Do not pop pimples – avoid popping your pimples since. According to facing acne, if “you squeeze out what looks like pus and oil, your skin will grow over the wound, trapping the bacteria inside.” Furthermore, the pus is likely to spread bacterial to other parts of your skin while you are squeezing it.
- Try acne fighting medications – there are many over the counter products that contain glycolic acid, salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide which help in dealing with acne. If you have a bad leg pimple breakout, consider seeing a dermatologist for prescription medications.
- Use noncomedogenic cosmetics – always use noncomedogenic cosmetics such as moisturizers or sunscreens since they do not clog your pores. Never forget your sunscreen if you are going to the sun since some of the acne products can react in presence of excessive sunshine.
- Balanced diet – ensure you get a balanced diet that has zinc and vitamin A. Also, take a lot of water since it helps in natural detoxification.
- Loosely fitting clothes – Wear loosely fitting clothes made from cotton to give your legs a change to breathe.
Home remedies for pimples on legs and thighs
While at home, you can deal with pimples on the legs using various products. Some of the commonly recommended products include:
- Lemon juice and tea tree oil – according to leaf.tv, “lemon juice has antiseptic and antibacterial properties, as does tea tree oil. Both combat the bacteria in and on the skin, which may cause leg acne”
- Oatmeal + honey – this will help make a good exfoliating scrub to use on your legs. Honey has antibacterial properties, which will help in clearing acne on your legs.
- Honey – with antibacterial properties, dab honey to help clear the pimple like spots on legs as well as reduce inflammations.
- Apple cider vinegar mixed with water – dab cotton balls dipped in the apple cider vinegar and water on the affected areas.
With the above little discussion on leg pimples treatment and home remedies, let us now look at a few specific concerns that people have on pimples in legs.
Little or small pimples on legs
If you notice small pimple like bumps on legs they could actually pimples or not. Other possible cause of bumps that resembles little pimples on legs include
- Keratosis Pilaris: According to Healthline.com, keratosis Pilaris are “small red or white bumps resemble goosebumps”
- Hives – if the bumps are red or the color of your skin and itchy
- Eczema – The red spots will have patches and they will be itchy
- Folliculitis – It causes small red bumps in places you often shave or where clothes cause lots of friction including your thighs
Itchy pimples on legs
In case of itchy pimple like bumps on legs, they could be hives or eczema since we have seen both the two conditions cause soreness. Furthermore insect bites, vasculitis or other skin conditions can be responsible for your itchy pimples on legs.
Red pimples on legs including Small red pimples on legs
If you have red pimples on legs, they could be actual pimples or bumps. The red pimples on legs and thighs are not real pimples, then other possibilities include
- Keratosis Pilaris
- Insect bites
Most of the above conditions manifests themselves as small red pimple like bumps on legs, which most people can assume, are pimples. Talk to your dermatologist to help you identify if the red bumps on legs like pimples are actually pimples or not.
Pimples between legs
A worried patient had this to say at steadyhealth.com “Hi am 18 and I am overweight between my legs I get large pimples that almost look like blood blisters and just get bigger until I can painfully pop them and blood goes everywhere, is there some remedy available to help me or some cream anything”
Pimples between legs are common on your thighs and they can be caused by any of the reasons we have seen. However, the more common cause is friction and sweating. We will cover more on thigh pimples in details.
Painful Big pimple on leg
As WebMD notes, if you have large, red, and painful breakouts deep in your skin, it could mean you’ve developed something called cystic acne”. Therefore, if you have a large pimple on leg, it could be cystic acne. However, not all pimple like sores on legs. They could be other boils, infected ingrown hair, or infected hair follicle.
In most instances, these painful pimples on legs are due to hormonal changes and it can be treated with oral antibiotics, birth control pills, isotretinoin or spironolactone.
White pimples on legs
I have white pimple like bumps on my legs. Are these pimples or something else? Keratosis Pilaris, hives, moluscum contagiosum, leg acne, sun tanning, and infections, among others can possibly cause white pimples on legs. Talk to your dermatologist to help you identify if the white pimple like bumps on legs are actually pimples or something else.
Black pimple on leg
If you have black pimple like spots on legs, they could be actual pimples or other conditions such as age spots, diabetic dermopathy (scaly red or light brown), freckles, moles or melanoma.
Pimple like bumps on legs
I have seen people complaining of having ‘red pimple like bumps on legs,’ ‘hard pimple like bump on leg’ or ‘pimple looking bumps on legs’. These could be actually pimples or not pimples. We will comprehensively cover on boils on legs, bumps on legs including white and red bumps on legs in different posts.
- Just what are pimples: https://www.aad.org/public/kids/skin/acne-pimples-zits/just-what-are-pimples
- Tempted to Pop Your Pimples? Read This Article! http://www.facingacne.com/pop-pimples/
- Home Remedies for Getting Rid of Leg Acne: https://www.leaf.tv/articles/home-remedies-for-getting-rid-of-leg-acne/
- Cystic Acne: What Is It and How Do You Treat It? http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/cystic-acne#1
- What Causes Red Bumps on Your Legs? http://www.healthline.com/health/skin-disorders/red-bumps-on-legs#Overview1