Pimples on vagina are not usually serious problem but they can make one worry and they can be a symptom of serious diseases such severe STDs. So, what causes vaginal pimples and how can vaginal bumps be treated? In this, article were going to discuss various causes and types of these pimples and bump-like pimples on your genitals. We are also going to shed light on the effective solutions including medical treatments, natural cure and self-care treatments.
What causes pimples on the vagina?
Pimples are just a result of sebum clogging the hair follicles hence attracting bacteria invasion. Your body then react by sending white blood cells to fight back the bacteria. This process leads to inflammation in the hair follicles and hence the formation of pimples. Discussed below are some of the factors influence the formation of vaginal pimples:
Hormonal fluctuations during periods, puberty and pregnancy
Many vaginal pimples flare up during puberty, periods, pregnancy that may at times be very painful but they always banish of their own. The reason behind this is the surge of sex hormones (androgen) during these stages. They influence the oil producing glands to over work hence producing excess oil, which clog the hair follicles. Once clogged, the hair follicles will be enlarge and e invaded by bacteria leading to development of pimple bumps.
Hormonal variations can also be experience during menopause or when a woman is using birth control medications.
Though hormonal variation cannot be cured directly especially during puberty, pregnancy, periods and menopause, conditions that may lead to hormonal variations such poor diet can be controlled. Oral contraceptives can also be used to normalize the levels of linked hormones.
Vaginal pimples due to folliculitis
Pimples on the private areas may be as a result bacteria invading the hair follicles, a condition called a folliculitis. Ingrown hair after shaving your pubic hair can enhance the occurrence of Folliculitis. Folliculitis begin to show up as small red or white pimples or blisters around the hair follicles and can easily spread to other areas if not dealt with.
Sometimes, folliculitis can lead to very sore, itchy or cause large pimples bumps. If ignored, they can lead to scaring and permanent hair loss in your private parts or affected areas. Below are more factors that can cause Folliculitis:
- Yeast infection
- Viral infection
- Certain chemical
- Topical steroids
Factors such as tight clothing, HIV and diabetes can increase the risk of developing this problem
The best therapies for folliculitis are benzoyl peroxide, antibiotics and even application of warm compresses. Warm compresses help to speed up the healing process as well as stopping itchiness.
Pimples on vagina can also be caused by contact dermatitis, a skin reaction to substances touching it. Vaginal area can be sensitive to various substances such as:
- Sanitary pads
- Skin products e.g. lotions, powders and perfumes
- Sexual arousal stimulants
- Spermicides and condoms
- Topical medications
- Certain bath soaps and harsh laundry detergents
- Shower gels
- Feminine wipes
- Urine and semen
- Discharge from vagina
- Vaginal sweat
- Tight clothing and underwear
These things can lead to irritation that can cause pimples or bumps on your private area.
The best treatment for contact dermatitis is to get alternatives in case any of the triggering factors listed above affect you. In addition, medications such as antihistamines, benzoyl peroxide can be used to heal this condition. Consult your doctor for further treatments.
Vaginal pimples from STDs
Sexual transmitted diseases or infections can be another trigger of vaginal pimple-like bumps. Apart from vaginal bumps, STDs may occur alongside variant symptoms. Listed below are the common STDs that can cause bumps or blister on around your vagina:
- Genital herpes
- Genital warts-HPV
- Syphilis (early stage)
The above STIs mentioned have symptoms ranging from mild to severe ones. In fact, some of their symptoms may be life threating and therefore should be attended to promptly.
Treatment of STIs
Genital herpes cannot be treated but can symptoms can be minimized using antiviral medications, on the other hand, genital warts can be cured using topical treatments such as podophyllin, podofilox, imiquimod and trichloroacetic acid.
Visible warts that do not go away can be cleared using surgical procedures. Make sure you get HPV vaccination to be safe.
Syphilis can sometimes heal without treatment but can be treated using antibiotics. Chancroid can be removed by surgical therapies and can be popped using needles.
Hidradenitis suppurativa (HS)
This condition is also known as acne inversa. It is an inflammatory disease of the body sweat glands. It leads to the formation lesions on various parts of the body including the private areas. The main cause of this problem is not well known.
There are OTC medications and prescribed medications for this disorder but there are no specific cure.
Those bumps on your genitals can also be due to a viral skin infection called Molluscum contagiosum. It triggers growths or bumps anywhere in your body including your vaginal area. According to Healcure.org, “They often last for 6-12 months, while in some cases they can stay longer.”
Molluscum contagiosum are identified by small raised, white or pink flesh-covered bumps with a dimple at their center. They have variant sizes and shapes.
Treatment involve cyrotherapy, laser therapy and curettage. In case of children, oral cimetidine may be suitable to avoid pain from laser therapy, cyrotherapy and curettage.
Other oral medications such as salicylic acid, iodine, tretinoin and imiquimod can also be used, Lastly, podophyllotoxin cream can also be appropriate but not with pregnant women!
Skin tags on your Genitals
This is a normal skin conditions that are usually manifests itself mild, painless, and soft growths. They form when dilated capillaries clump together under the skin. They can bleed when exposed to friction.
They are very common in pregnant women, diabetic persons, people using steroids as well as obese people. They can be easily confused with genital warts and therefore you should consult your gynecologist for correct right diagnosis.
The best treatment for skin tags are cauterization, cutting, freezing and tying with a thread (must be done under the instruction of the dermatologist).
Bumps occurring around vagina can also be contributed by skin cancer specifically vulvar cancer. This slow developing cancer is common in older women and it can show up alongside other symptoms such burning vulva, bleeding after have sex and formation of sores around private area.
Skin cancer can be treated at early stage through surgery involving laser and scalpel surgery or chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
Other potential causes of pimples on vagina
- Yeast infections
- Stress and depression
- Excessive sweating
White bumps on vaginal lips
What causes white bumps on my vaginal area? Are these white bumps a symptom of a serious problem? Well, in many cases, white bumps on vaginal area do not usually denote a serious condition. It is usually triggered by “excessive sweating, hormonal fluctuations, a vaginal infection or sebaceous cysts.” [Hewhealthadvisor.com]
Though these white bumps are just mild storms, it is important talk to your doctor about them since the bumps may be a symptom of some serious medical condition as well.
Below are the possible causes of white bumps on vaginal lips:
- Blocked sweat glands
- Skin cancer
- Medical condition i.e. Acanthosis Nigricans and Angiokeratoma
White bumps can also be caused by some of the pimples on vag causative factors discussed previously.
Red and Itchy vaginal Bump
There are several causes of red itchy bumps on vagina – to be specific on the vulva, mons pubis, and labia or on the outside of the vagina. While this can be a symptom of sexual transmitted infections, there are also other causes altogether. Some of the causes of pimple-like red itchy vaginal bumps include:
- Ingrown hair
- Vaginal eczema
- Genital herpes
- Genital warts
To get the proper diagnosis of such bumps, visit your dermatologist. This will help you establish cause, proper diagnosis and prescription of medications.
Large, hard bumps on my Vagina
I have big and hard bumps on my vagina, what could be the meaning of this? Well, it can be alarming to have something unusual as such around your vagina. Cysts occurring on the vaginal lips can feel exactly like bumps that are large and hard as a rock. These can be non-STD bumps, which formed due to infected pimples, ingrown hair or boil.
Again, this can also be genital warts caused by HPV or a symptom of syphilis in the early stage. So the best idea is to visit your doctor for a test that run across all STDs. Proper diagnosis will determine the best treatment.
Natural Remedies for Vaginal Pimples
Immediately you discover you have pimples on your vagina, give the problem immediate response or treatment. Below are some of the natural treatments that can immediately follow the onset of vaginal pimples:
- Always keep the vaginal area clean and don’t allow your private area to become wet. Use a soft towel to keep drying the area. Remember bacteria triggering infections love moist and dirty environment. So, keep your genital area clean and dry to be safe
- Harsh soaps should use medicated soaps fashioned to clean the vaginal area.
- Essential oils such as lavender oil, almond oil and tea tree oil can be used to treat vaginal pimples. These oils have antibacterial and antifungal properties that can perfectly clear pimples on your genitals. They are normally mixed to achieve effective result.
- Itchy vaginal pimples may make you develop the urge to scratch them but that could be dreadful, opt for warm compresses to stop itchiness. Take a clean cotton towel, dip it into hot water and then apply it on the pimples. After this process, make sure you dry the area properly
- Another amazing remedy is the application of cornstarch powder. Cornstarch powder can be applied before you put on your underwear. It absorbs the sweat hence help keeping the area dry.
- To get rid of vaginal bacterial invasion, you can wash the area using apple cider vinegar solution. Mix two cups of apple cider solution with one cup of water. After you have prepared a perfect solution, wash vaginal area using the solution. For sure, you would have made your vaginal area bacteria free. Repeat the process at least twice in a day.
- Always make sure you dry your vaginal pimples before treating them.
- Always wear cotton under garment to prevent further infections. Cotton clothing causes little friction and absorb moisture leaving your skin dry.
- Don’t remove your pubic hair using razor, tweezers, wax, or harsh creams. Again, don’t remove your pubic hair in the presence of pimples. It would be fine to remove them when the pimples are gone. This help to prevent present pimples from growing to their severity or spreading to other parts.
What else can you do?
Because vaginal pimples have various causes, it is always the best idea to see your doctor first for a proper diagnosis. This will then allow you to choose the most appropriate treatments after getting knowing the causes
Sources of Reference
- Pimple on Vaginal Lip: http://www.newhealthadvisor.com/Pimple-on-Vaginal-Lip.html
- Vaginal Pimples, Acne and Bumps: http://www.vaginal-health-guide-remedy.com/vaginal-pimples.html
- Vaginal Bumps and Vaginal Pimples: http://www.healcure.org/womens-health/vagina/vaginal-bumps-and-vaginal-pimples/
- Vaginal Pimples or Bumps- How Do They Look and Treated: http://buddymd.com/vaginal-pimples-or-bumps-how-do-they-look-and-treated
- Why Do Vaginal Pimples Form: http://www.healthline.com/health/womens-health/vaginal-pimples
- Red Bumps Outside Vagina Lip: http://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/red-bumps-outside-vagina-lip
- Itchy Bumps On Outer Lips Of Vagina: http://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/itchy-bumps-on-outer-lips-of-vagina
- White Bumps on Vaginal Area: Causes and Remedies: http://www.newhealthadvisor.com/White-Bumps-on-Vaginal-Area.html
- 10 Natural cure for vaginal pimples: http://www.ayushveda.com/womens-magazine/10-natural-cures-for-vaginal-pimples/