Is it normal to have pimples on breast or even spots, lumps and growths? We must concur with the fact that whether you have whiteheads or blackheads on breast, acne bumps on or under breast and they whether they are painful or not, small or large, infected or not, they can cause much worry.
Now that it is fact that pimples on breast can be very distressing especially if they are lumpy, chronic and not going away since they could be linked to cancer. Do not worry, this is a rather rare occurrence.
We understand that cancer is a very prevalent health concern in current days. However, breast pimples in most cases may have nothing to do with cancer. Discover all the information you would like to know about causes and remedies for pimples on breast.
What causes pimples on your breast?
Pimples can develop on any part of the body including breast, thighs, buttocks, legs, etc. However, they are common on the face.
The reasons or causes of breast pimples are more or less the same reasons that cause pimples on any other part of the body i.e. the excessive production of sebum, formation of a plug (clogged pores), together with dead skin accumulation and bacteria.
We hope it is clear what leads to the formation of pimples. Let us look at some of the factors that often trigger the formation of pimples on your breasts.
Medications for various diseases are very significant but we must confess that, some of these medications have certain side effects to patients. In our context, some medications especially those involving lithium, corticosteroids, steroids, androgenic steroids, bromine-based medications and anticonvulsants have been linked to have acne as their side effects.
The acne breakout triggered by these types of medications are not limited to under breast only. They can also cause eruptions on other susceptible parts of the body including your chin, forehead, cheek or generally face outbursts.
Black pimple on breast due to cancer
Can a zit be a cancer symptom? What should ring in our minds is that, cancerous growths on a person`s breast can begin as a tiny lump that can resemble an itchy pimple or acne zit. After a short period, it can turn into a boil or a large lump-like pimple.
In some cases, it can start as small white spot that develops into a pimple and then into a large and hard bump.
To get to bottom of this, I want to reveal to you two main ways on how cancer can manifest itself. Take your time below to dig deeper into major breast cancer symptoms:
a. Chronic breast pimple-like that can`t heal
Breast cancer can manifest itself through a pimple or bump on breast that keeps on coming back, lasts for weeks or months and won`t settle. Notably, when you experience breast boils that become warn, tender and painful, please DON`T ignore it, it can be a sign of a knocking cancer.
b. Dark black hard bump that does not vanish
Some conditions like dermatitis, milk blister and fungal infections can seem to have pus-filled pimples but a close examination should be employed on such conditions. This are not to worry much since they can just be pimples.
Be very careful with pimples on breast skin that appear dark or black, feel hard and does not vanish; they are more likely to be a sign of breast cancer.
Pimples due hormonal changes during pregnancy and periods
Variations of hormones during periods and during pregnancy can potentially make one’s skin to produce excess serum. Now, too much sebum in your body might lead to blockage of skin pores leading to small pimples on the breast skin. If infected, they can be big, red, pus-filled and painful
Beside small pimples, one can get bigger deeper cystic acne. These too can be very common during pregnancy and periods. Correlated symptoms may include red pimples on breast, chest, back, face or even forehead.
Stress during the indicated periods can worsen your acne and pimple outbreaks on the various body parts including those on your breasts.
Blockage of hair follicles on areola
Hair follicles are usually present at areola (colored circle around the nipple) and their blockage may lead to development of pimples on one’s breast areola. The hair follicles at areola can be blocked due to accumulation of dirt and oil. Another condition that can influence their blockage, is the buildup dead skin around the areola and hence appearance of pimples.
Breastfeeding acne zits
Developing pimple zits on the breast or any other parts of the body when one is breastfeeding is also very common. This condition is also referred to as post-pregnancy acne breakout.
It is triggered by the fact that after a woman has given birth, her hormones are still resolving and their imbalance may have a hand to development of pimple spots on the body. Overproduction of milk at this stage can also lead to appearance of pimple like structures on the nipple. Those are not actual pimples.
Wrong-sized bra and clothing
Wearing improper size of bras can lead to obstruction of proper blood circulation and clogging of Montgomery glands. This is another condition can potentially lead to development of breast pimples.
How can this lead to formation of pimples? Well, these are very sensitive glands and secrete the sebum to keep the areola and nipple are supple. The moment they are blocked, then this will lead to development of pimples on an individual’s breast.
This is a condition that is most common among sport women. The pimples can also develop due to the following conditions:
- Excess heat on the skin due to tight clothing
- Friction on the skin
- Pressure on the skin due to tightly fitting bras
We need to acknowledge that sweaty constant rubbed skin can quickly break out in a worrisome rash.
Fungal infections under breasts
In some circumstances, fungal infections can also develop on the skin below the breast. This can be influenced by poor hygienic conditions. As you know, fungal infections can be cause of red, itchy bumps under the breast area that resembles pimples.
Diet with dairy products and fatty foods
Some researches have concluded that fatty foods increase that fat content in a person’s body. This can be a very good reason behind the emerging of pimples on the breast.
On the other hand, dairy products have also been listed as the worst food option since they are potential to trigger pimples. According to Dr. Frank Lipman, dairy causes spikes in certain pimple-producing hormones. Other foods that are also likely to induce breast pimples, they include:
- Bread or refined carbs
- Coconut oil
- Fried foods, or fatty foods/greasy foods
- Sugar, chocolates and carbs
Other causes of breast pimples
Some other factors that can trigger the development of pimple on breast may include, accidental trauma, poor quality of clothing, digestive disorders, excessive stress and mental tension
Is pimples on breast normal (including those on areola and nipple)
Is a pimple on my breast normal? It is reasonably normal for adolescents, both boys and girls to develop chest or breast pimples as well as pimples on other parts of their bodies including back, face, butts or even thighs.
These same pimple bumps can also emerge during menstruation periods and during pregnancy in many women. This is because during the mentioned stages, there is intense hormonal changes as already seen. Zits and acne bumps on breast also, are normally triggered by stress hormones. These are perfectly normal.
Your main worry should be chronic bump like pimples or black pimples on breast that hardly go away. They should not be considered normal since it could be cancer beginning to manifest itself.
Breast pimples manifestation – Red, small or large
Breast pimples manifest themselves in various ways. In some circumstance, you will find some people having pimples under their breast, others on the side of breast while some can have these pimples on areola.
In addition, some of these pimples will be very painful, sore to touch. Again, some will bleed if you try to pop them while others will feel hard. Let us look at red, small, large and infected breast pimples.
Red pimple on breast and painful at times
The presence of red pimples and rashes on the breast can be a sign of inflammation as well as infections. Normally, the immune system will respond to bacteria leading to pus-filled zits. Therefore, in the process, you will end up with reddened or inflamed skin.
Again, if you tend to pop the pimples on your skin, you can possibly make the pimples to become red or very sore, they can even bleed in some occasions. In case of bleeding, you may develop a blood pimple on your breast.
Finally, red pimple like bumps can be a sign of fungal infection and such are not actual pimples.
Small pimple under breast
Normally, small zits and pimples under the breast could be due just a normal pimple or heat rash. When caused by heat, such pimples can occur in clusters or as a rash under your breast.
In addition, small sweat pimples can be common on women having bigger breast which coupled with inadequate aeration may cause intense sweating and blockage of the sweat pores. This will leading to sweat pimples under the breast.
Large painful pimple on breast
Taken into consideration that pimples should vanish of their own, it will be bothersome and puzzling if they maintain growing large and remain painful. Large painful pimples could be a sign of cystic acne.
Furthermore, take note that, a painful pimple could be due to bruising, or when one attempts to burst it. When you discover a sore fat boil or what seem to be a large pimple on your breast, see your doctor as soon as possible to try draining it professionally.
Finally, remember, a pimple getting larger can be an indication of the presence of cancerous growth. This should be diagnosed by a qualified medical practitioner if it does not seem to subside.
Infected pimple on breast
Just as a pimple can be infected on any part of the body, infected breast pimples are also possible. An infected pimple or bump tend to develop alongside with some pain and it will be filled with pus.
The pus is due response of white blood cells to bacterial activities, dead cell and accumulated oil. The pus may sometimes turn yellow or green. One can feel an inflammation when a pimple is infected. The affected area may become itchy, develop a rash or even swell.
Infected bumps usually take a longer time to heal and they may leave behind bigger scars. You will need antibiotics to treat them. Be careful when dealing with them
Home remedies and treatments for breast pimples (including nipple and areola)
Treating breast pimples can involve the application over the counter drugs or prescribed drugs by a doctor. There are also several home remedies to heal breast pimples. Remember the type of medication to be prescribed will depend on the root causes of the pimple or the nature of the pimple at hand.
According to medicalfoxx.com, the determination of underlying cause is very important for proper treatment of pimple in the nipple. Here are some important insight on treatment of pimples on breast including nipple and areola.
- Benzoyl peroxide medication – To keep your breast skin clean and get rid of the dead cells as well as excess oil that causes zits, you can apply benzoyl peroxide medication. This kind of medication can come in the form of gels, lotions, creams or even cleansers.
- Salicylic acid – Another effective treatment for zits and acne pimples, is the salicylic acid. This acid works as an exfoliation agent that can be used to unplug pores and prevent more pimples from developing on the areola.
- Antifungals – In cases where the breast pimple like bumps are due to fungal infection, oral or topical antifungal cream, or ointment can help reduce the fungal growth. One can also apply ginger juice as natural antifungal.
- When it comes to your attention that Montgomery glands has been clogged, you should then soak the area with warm water which will help to soften the skin and rub the skin gently to get rid of dry milk (for breastfeeding mothers) or dead skin.
- Breastfeeding mother can also apply purified hypoallergenic lanolin after breastfeeding to prevent the development of pimples.
- Application of some home products can greatly help in managing of breast pimples. These products includes, honey, radish seeds, Aloe vera, lemon juice, cinnamon powder, tea tree oil, garlic juice, toothpaste, salt soak, mud masks, aspirin pastes and many more. What is very important here is to carry out a mega research to establish which of these products will be suitable for your breast pimples. You can consult your doctor in case you are not sure about the suitable product for your case.
Breast pimple prevention
Can breast pimple be prevented? Of course the answer here is YES. They can be prevented. Well, despite the fact that the above treatment can effectively help treat pimples, it is always wiser to prevent than curing.
Various measures can be observed to prevent the break out of breast pimples. Below are common effective measures that can help prevent breast pimple occurrence:
- People should wear looser clothing or looser bras for women and maintain proper hygienic standards. If some conditions may demand putting on tight clothing, be sure to take shower as soon as removing the tight garments.
- Taking regular shower is just but another ideal way to prevent pimples on breasts. This will help to get rid of sebum, germs, and bacteria that collect on the surface of the beast skin triggering pimple eruption.
- Another ways is gently breast skin exfoliation. Exfoliation will involve removing the dead layers of the top skin or epidermis. This will help to reduce the occurrences of pimples and help in fading pimple marks.
- Try drinking a lot of water to increase your skin hydration. Remember your skin is a prime organ of your body and it needs sufficient water to hydrate efficiently and function in a healthy manner. To guide you about this, just make sure you drink at least eight glasses of water per day to avoid development of pimples.
- Fashion your style of eating. Avoid sugary drinks, dairy foods and processed foods. Dairy foods for instance contain hormones that can stimulate your oil glands. All the mentioned food types can create conditions that would influence the development of pimples on your breast. Try to find out their alternatives.
- Get rid of life full of tension and stress as much as possible. Doctors suggests that cells that secretes sebum, which clogs the skin pores, usually become unregulated when a person is under intense stress.
- Create time to a have a plenty of rest. If you don’t usually have enough sleep, then you are likely to develop duress throughout the day and this have a close link to breast pimple development.
- Another tip for preventing pimples is by doing regular exercise. This is very significant as it is a therapy for many body disorders. It will help minimize stress and anxiety. But remember to take bath after every exercise to prevent your pores from getting blocked.
Conclusion on breast pimples
Most of pimples developing on breast tend to be harmless but we should not take them for granted. We should give them close examination because they can sometimes just be a sign of serious conditions like breast cancer.
Above all, the prime remedy for breast pimples is to keep the breast area clean and dry. Because breast pimples can be triggered by several factors, you should take a lot of care when establishing the right medication especially while applying the home products. Also, try to consult your doctor before you could jump into application of these products.
Chronic pimples, large or pus-filled pimples in your breast should be immediately attended to by medical professional. Don’t continue to treat yourself when the pimples keeps on growing bigger, instead book a sooner appointment with your doctor.
Sources of References
- Pimples on Breasts: What to Do: http://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skin-care/pimples-on-breasts
- Pimple on Nipple: http://medicalfoxx.com/pimple-on-nipples.html
- Pimples on nipples: the complete guide: http://medlicker.com/1122-pimples-on-nipples
- Pimple on Breast, Normal, That Won’t go Away, Bump, Hurts, During Pregnancy, Images and How to Get Rid of it Fast: http://www.lightskincure.org/pimples/pimple-on-breast-wont-go-away-bump-hurts-pregnancy/
- Breast Cancer: http://www.healthcentral.com/breast-cancer/c/78/149467/breast-boils/
- Pimple On Breast Or Nipples: http://www.wowremedies.com/pimple-on-breast-nipple/
- How to Get Rid of Pimples Fast: http://www.top10homeremedies.com/how-to/how-to-get-rid-of-pimples-fast.html
- 22 Home Remedies for Acne & Pesky Pimples: http://everydayroots.com/acne-remedies
- Treatments For Pimples: How To Get Rid Of Pimples: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/191530.php
- Breast Cancer Symptoms: When Should You worry: http://www.everydayhealth.com/breast-cancer-pictures/breast-cancer-symptoms-when-should-you-worry.aspx